How to make the most of a lecture
Workshop: Wednesday, September 19, 2007
o To learn to make the most of a lecture and class activities.
o To learn to take useful notes and to ask useful questions.
· Role of lectures
o Structure of lectures: objectives, connection to course objectives, integration
o Reading guides
o Creation of outline
o Note taking to complete the outline
o How to ask useful questions: questions to complete the outline
· Learning cycle
· Reflection in action
· Learning styles
· Cognitive development stages
Ø Group work activity
Ø Video clips for input
· Paper Chase
· Dead Poets Society
· What teaching style predominates in each scene?
· Which teaching method do you think is the most effective for you?
· In your opinion, what is the best strategy to take notes in class?
· Do you find group-work like this one useful? Why? Why not?
· Do you find lectures useful? What elements must a lecture have to be useful for you?
· What is your learning style? How do you best learn?
· If you had to teach a 1st year class, how would you do it? Would you lecture? Would you include group activities?