How to Promote Deep Learning
Julian Hermida, Algoma University
Academic Standards and Teaching & Learning Committee
September 19, 2008
· Introduction: Deep Learning
· Research findings on deep learning
· Videos to foster discussion
· Group discussion
· Resources: www.julianhermida.com
Objective: to reflect about the importance of promoting deep learning and to examine the question “How can we promote our students’ deep learning?
• Is Lucas a deep learner? Why? Why not?
• What do we usually do in our courses that results in surface learning?
• What do we need to do to encourage our students to take a deep approach to learning? How can we teach so that Robert becomes like Susan?
• What institutional changes, if any, are required to promote a deep approach to learning?
• Think of a course you are teaching/taking, what specific changes would you introduce to promote deep learning?